Name:
Location: Columbus, Ohio, United States

Thursday, June 30, 2005

valuing a website

It really made me stop and think, when someone said a site with growth potential could be sold for five times its annual revenue. I have only barely begun to develop the ad revenue potential of my site, as I have previously used it to represent my brick-and-mortar business on the web.

Bar Pie Graphs GRML browser
Headlines GRML browser
Tree GRML browser
Breaking Website Logins

Even so, my July revenue will be a few dollars short of five thousand dollars. If that persists, then my site's annual revenue would be sixty thousand dollars, suggesting I could cash out for three hundred grand.

Password Forums Prevention
Free tattoo designs
More on low intrest credit cards
Low intrest credit cards

My wife's jaw hit the floor when I told her that. We briefly entertained the idea of selling it and using the money to start some other site, but I think I would be much better off in the long run to develop the site. If my site has the potential to be worth three hundred grand to someone else who might grow it, what would it be worth to me if I grew it myself.

sedu beauty products reviews tips
web design tips images
GRML Software
Graphing software GRML

However, I pointed out to my wife that if something happened to me, she could, if she chose, cash out and buy herself a house and have enough money to finish her degree.

Bar Graphs GRML
Headlines GRML Software
GRML Headlines
GRML Pioneer Report

Up until now I didn't think there was a lot of point to drawing up a will, as I didn't think I had any real assets, but now I realize I do. I'm a recent immigrant to Nova Scotia, Canada, so I don't know much about inheritance laws or estate planning here. I'm going to do some research (I have a friend who used to do estate planning professionally) and then do what the experts advise.

Pioneer Report GRML
Tree Grouping GRML
GRML Grouping
Pioneer GRML Software

I know from a book I read by financial guru Suze Orman that wills aren't actually the best thing if you have a lot of assets, because there are probate fees and the inheritance can be tied up for a long time, possibly a time of great need. Better than a will is a trust, at least in the US. I expect Canada has such things. I'm going to find out... and soon.